We recently invited PathFactory’s Elle Woulfe, VP of Marketing, to share a peek behind their ABM curtain. The webinar – Optimizing Account Based Marketing Through Trial and Error – digs into PathFactory’s agile ABM process.
We think Elle is one of the best marketers in SaaS and she taught us a ton about how to take ABM programs to the next level. Here are favorite takeaways from the webinar.
Take More High Percentage Shots
You have to be ruthless with your target accounts. As Terminus says – ABM flips the funnel. That means you are required to take high percentage shots with accounts that you know are a perfect fit with your ideal customer profile.
Elle showed us how PathFactory started building their ICPs, and how they evolved their processes. We were struck with that little bullet point under ‘goals’ – identify what you don’t already know.
That’s not easy. Elle had to get ruthless with her target accounts and sometimes that means saying no to a company that isn’t a good fit.
Find me a content marketer that doesn’t want to entice inbound traffic into content binge streams that capture thousands of points of juicy data. As one of PFL’s content marketers, I was hot on PathFactory but alas, we simply didn’t fit PathFactory’s ICP. We weren’t a high percentage shot.
How to Tighten Your ABM Targets
So how do you tighten your beam so you target on the best accounts? Elle took us behind the curtain to see exactly how they did at PathFactory.
- Deprioritize demand from non-target accounts
- ICP and non-target accounts have different qualifications for MQL status
- Segment ICP accounts via use cases (as a marketer you already know use case is most successful for your existing customers)
- Empower your marketing and sales teams with clear visibility into target account health and demographics
Go All In: ABM is a Sales and Marketing Partnership
You already know ABM is a marriage of sales and marketing, but few marketers are sharing exactly what that means. Here are some of the actionable tips we learned from Elle:
- Align messaging and channels to distribute messages that are targeted to specific use cases
- Give your sales teams the best tools to open doors, keep conversations alive (hey, like PFL for automated, scalable direct mail)
- Keep sales’ pipeline full of high percentage shots – the best ICPs